In order to certify as a BiA Doula, you need to do the following:
- Attend both the Foundation and the Advanced Training
- Required reading
your BiA doula manuals + pre-course reading
The Doula Book by Klaus, Kennel, Klaus.
and/or the Dutch book ‘De Doula’ by Saskia Bruyn and Thea van Tuyl
Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth By Ina May Gaskin
The Birth Partner By Penny Simkin
Heart and Hands by Elizabeth Davis
Strongly Recommended reading
A-Z For a Healthy Pregnancy and Natural Childbirth by Jacky Bloemraad-De Boer
The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Sarah J. Buckley
Birthing From Within OR Ancient Map for Modern Birth By Pam England
- Attend two hospital observation shifts and one birth with a 1st line midwife (home or polyclinic).
- Attend a minimum of 3 births as a doula, including prenatal appointments, birth support and postpartum meeting.
- 1 home birth either as observation or as a doula OR a minimum of 8 hours of home support during labour.
- Attend a childbirth education class.
- Submission of student portfolio.
JJ Doula Training/BiA Doula Training is accredited by the Dutch professional organisation for doulas (De Nederlandse beroepsvereniging voor Doula’s). As a student of BiA Doula Training you can apply to become a prospective member. You then have two years to certify and become a full member.